Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Hands across America



I'll keep this one brief. I'm sure holiday cheer still abounds...

A local bar provides ample respite from the bitter cold, but just next door another interesting treat lies in wait. Photographer Jeremy Moss (no web ref available) has chosen to acknowledge the Christmas season by photographing "giving hands." This is to say an entire series of 6" x 6" portraits of outstretched palms, intended to remind us of "those less fortunate than us."

Aside from the standard fare -- withered looking meat hooks, of a darker complexion where possible -- was one photograph that blows the mind. Four-fingered hands (both of them), beseeching us all for what holiday cheer we might spare.

I had only one thought upon seeing this freak show: "Yo, Jeremy. It's your buddy Pork chop. Your wife told me you was taking pictures of hands and shit. I figured that my niece would be pretty awesome for that. She's only got 8 fingers. Maybe that could help you sell some pictures... I don't know. Give me a call."

And the rest, as they say, is history. Perhaps this is an unfair appraisal; maybe old Jeremy just happened upon an 8-fingered person during his daily rounds. But it seems more likely that a friend deserves the credit.

At any rate, if you find yourself at Brooklyn Social, try the Manhattan. A classic New York drink served with style (and a tucked-in tie), with no attitude whatsoever.

Keep the cheer going.