Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Six Months Out of Every Year



Well, sports fans, try as I may to discontinue my habit of posting on baseball or football news, there simply isn't much architecture gossip that hasn't already been scooped by crack "Eavesdrop" reporter Aric Chen. I suppose I don't get invited to the right parties after all.

Instead, D.C. baseball drama. The fledgling Washington Nationals, nee Montreal Expos, are by now almost certain to become a reality in the 2005 season. The remaining hurdles include securing the approval of MLB owners and a final financing package for a new stadium in Anacostia. From the looks of their website, however, it seems that all of the major parties involved are on board.

I won't dwell too much on the intricacy of the events that precipitated this whole deal. The bottom line is Major League Baseball in our Nation's Capitol for the first time in three decades. This is good news for me: If I have my way I'll be joining ol' Halfz down in Boomtown after Christmas. Perhaps I can live among the rats in his front yard.

Speaking of rats, and J_H, a new poll on his broadside hints at possible collaborative efforts in the future. Vote wisely, and if you are in need of guidance, observe carefully how the following groups are voting these days: MLB owners, MLB players, the people of Iraq, the U.S. Congress. With any luck, the question of the day in our case can be resolved with less rumor and intrigue.

I'd stay and chat, but I feel the need to do something productive for a change. I hope my readers would concurr: visiting NYC landmarks on a day like today is something productive.