Thursday, May 12, 2005

By Popular Demand: Meerkats



It may come as a surprise that, according to my bravenet statistics, a large percentage of visitors are brought here by Google image searches for “meerkat”. This is because way back in January, I employed an image of a meerkat for my review of northwestern beers. Unfortunately for these guests, most of whom seem to be stationed in Europe and New Zealand, Google links to my main page, not to the archived page above. So I figured that, at least for a few days, I would appease my Kiwi fans with the eye-candy they so crave.

Even if close to half of my visitors come looking for meerkat pictures, I was still impressed to have exactly 100 hits during the first week of my bravenet counter. This did not include hits from my own IP address, which I have blocked to prevent myself from artificially inflating my stats. This week, there have been roughly 60 visitors thus far, so even if I have fallen off of my 100-per-week pace, I remain close to 10-per-day.

There has been precious little news for me this week, mainly due to 48 hours of illness, which seems, mercifully, to be passing as we speak. However, by staying home from work yesterday, I became aware of the airspace SNAFU as it was happening when an F-16 went screeching across the sky outside the window. Sure enough, FOX was reporting the evacuations within five minutes.

Seldom a dull moment in our nation’s capital.