Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Goldie Lookin' Chain



It is indeed rare that a suitably obscure or noteworthy musical act catches my attention, but GLC has done just that. Lest you worry that I am some kind of music snob, I should mention that I make it a point never to actively seek out such material -- I prefer to let it find me. My mother has just returned from a trip to Wales, and given her uncanny understanding of my cultural tastes she brought with her GLC's self-produced compilation "You Knows It Vol. 3." (She explained that should would have bought me their newer studio album, but was unable to find it.)

The CD cover alone looked promising enough, but a quick google search confirmed my first suspicions about the authenticity of the group. Their website is, remarkably enough, one of the best flash sites I have ever seen, with plenty of diversions to entertain any visitor.

I have heard other Welsh hip-hop, but only in Welsh -- a language I cannot understand, nor imagine understanding, due to the high occurence of "l"s and "y"s. GLC, thankfully, performs in English, making an honest appraisal of their lyrics a great deal easier.

Properly speaking, I'm not sure I would call their music hip-hop, but I am hard pressed to identify a more suitable genre. Certainly some tracks would qualify, like the aptly named "Sexy Ladies," which involves lyrics like "I wanna touch your tits, I wanna touch your bum, I wanna touch your sister, I'm gonna touch your mum." Now, if that's not the essence of rap music, I don't know what is.

As I write this, I am only half way through the album, and enjoying each track more than the last. Good ol' W. is about to tell us what country we will be invading next, and common sense dictates that I pay attention. However, expect more information on Goldie Lookin' Chain to follow soon.

UPDATE, 10:15 PM -- So no countries were named, but apparently Laura will be taking on gangs. I don't know how good her chances are.